Wednesday 14 May 2014

Underwater Rugby is in Singapore!

Last Saturday (10 May 2014), the first ever Underwater Rugby session in Singapore (and Asia!) was held, organised by a good friend of mine, Khee. There was a grand turnout of 18 people!


I first caught underwater rugby fever in 2011, when I heard from a fellow freediver (Mr Khee himself) about the sport. I thought it sounded pretty cool, so I travelled to Sydney to play with the only UWR team in Australia (at that time).

Things I love about this sport:

It's fast
It's 3-dimensional
It requires teamwork
And of course, it's underwater.

Since then, UWR in Australia has spread to other states and there are now teams in Canberra, Brisbane (kickstarted by yours truly), Tasmania and soon, Melbourne! 

This first game in Singapore was an important start for the sport in Asia. Hopefully, it will only get bigger and we can eventually travel to compete with teams from other countries. 


Unfortunately, I had a little accident that day, aside from the usual scrapes and bruises that come with a game. In the diving pool where we played, there is a little ledge jutting out at about 1m depth, useful for players to stand on while at the surface. Not so useful when you're ascending quickly to get some air. In the heat of the game (and need for air), I completely forgot about the ledge and crashed right into it. The result: a cut 7cm long, down to the skull. Thanks to the quick action of my team mates, I was sent to the hospital and underwent surgery that day to fix it. 



Sadly, this means I am out of the water for at least 2 weeks. I did think about doing some dry land static training for freediving, but figured my healing tissues would not appreciate the hypoxia. So, once I heal, back to training for me! 

3 comments :

  1. Oww.. you're freediver.. Nice to know u. In Singapore I have a friend also as a freediver, her name Jade. I met her in KL. Oyaa, I'm freediver too n underwater hockey too. In that pic, I knew few people from SUHC..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, drop by and have a game with us if you're in town! I know Jade too, I think most freedivers in Singapore know Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...., Jade is a freediving insrtructor. In Jakarta, we have AIDA Instructor :) in Lets Freedive club, mostly AIDA certified. Last month we were lucky, there is an Italian freediver visited us and did static almost 8 minute. Next month, Jean Poul will come to jkt to give AIDA4, safety n Judge course. In Phuket, there is sunto freediving competition, organized by we freedive (Richard n Sarah).... Nice talking to u :)

    ReplyDelete