Thursday 15 May 2014

AIDA 4* in Thailand

I recently completed my certification with AIDA 4 * Miguel Vannieuwenhoven from Andaman Apnea. I learned so much during my time with Miguel! He's extremely knowledgeable and experienced as a freediver, instructor and coach, having attained very impressive PBS (among others, 7:30 STA and 80m CWT!) The course was not easy, especially the pool sessions where we spent a few hours working on technique and training, which was tiring.  But all worth it in the end, Because thanks to Miguel's coaching, I have a new static PB of 5:03! And I am also one step closer to my goal of becoming a freediving instructor. With that, I (reluctantly) came back to Singapore armed with new ideas for training, the the which I will put to use for sure when I am back in the water.

Here are some of my favorite photos from the trip:

Friendly dog outside my room at Naiharn On the Rocks Resort. Beautiful place with amazingly friendly hosts :) 

The rocks Themselves ... hopped in for a snorkel just here every afternoon. Plenty of beautiful sea life.

Bearded fireworm. If you see these, don't touch! They sting. 


White eyed moray eel in a rather defensive posture. 
Did not mean to disturb it! 

Another little moray, this one was rather curious and came right up to the camera, I have a video of it's mouth! 

Plenty of small lionfish in this spot, I saw at least 10 in a single session snorkel! Very curious as well, swam up to me then turned to face it's spines towards me when it got too close!




Massive school of catfish



A stonefish

Crown of thorns starfish. I only saw one, so it doesn't seem like the reef is not being overrun by them, which is good news!



School of baitfish



Plastic!!! I hate seeing this when I'm in the water. Everyday when I went snorkeling, I came out holding lots of trash. It's such a shame that the local people do not realise / care that they are damaging the very environment that they rely on for food and tourism. It could all be managed very easily, I feel.


After this training trip... I entered the unofficial club of freediving 145 ..... 100m dynamic, 40m depth, 5 min static. This is nice, but to me, freediving is not so much about results (though yes, it's awesome when you get them) but about enjoying just being in the water. So if you enjoy training and pushing the limits (safely), you will improve! 

1 comment :

  1. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface.
    freediving bohol

    ReplyDelete