Wednesday 14 May 2014

How it all began

A few years ago, I flicked on the tv and came across a documentary showing World freediving champion Tanya Streeter freediving with Humpback whales (here's part of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEsdQegy3mQ).  I was instantly intrigued at how a person could possibly hold her breath for THAT long. She looked so peaceful and graceful too, just swimming underwater without any artificial breathing apparatus. I remember thinking "I HAVE to learn how to do that". I had a lot going on at that time though, so I KIV-ed it until later.

About 6 months later, I injured myself (1 broken finger, 1 very sore knee) so I couldn't do much sport. I'm a very active person and all I could do was swim very slowly, which frustrated me. So I decided to take advantage of the situation. Seeing that I couldn't do anything fast-paced, I would go slow. After a bit of research, I signed up for the next freediving course I could find. This was with Ben Noble, in Brisbane where I was living at that time.

After the course, I was hooked :D The feeling of being underwater, just swimming, being so free just could not be beat by anything I've ever done before. Before learning to freedive, I could already a scuba dive, and I loved being underwater and checking out all the marine life, but the sensations that you feel during scuba and freediving are completely different. With freediving, I don't just feel like I'm an outsider observing what is happening underwater, like I do with scuba (I mean, which sea creature breathes air underwater?), I actually feel like I'm part of this wonderful ecosystem. So, it was only after I started freediving that I really fell in love with the ocean. Sounds rather dramatic, but it's true! 

No comments :

Post a Comment